Sunday, November 25, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy - Week 48

Week 48: Genealogy Society Member. Genealogy society members are a vital part of the family history community. We’ve made many acquaintances this way and we all benefit from their friendship, support and expertise. Share with us a genealogy society member that has left a memorable impression on you.

Unfortunately my own experience with local societies has been less than stellar.  However, I can honor a gentleman that I feel has contributed to his own local society for beyond the norm.  I have a friend who was married to a distant cousin.  He has been a longtime member of his local society and volunteers to research all inquiries that come to the society.  In his city he has both his society's library and a good public library and he visits both to answer the inquiries to the best of his ability.  He has spent untold hours helping others.

I have had similar experiences writing to societies far distant from where I live.  I have been so grateful to those individuals who have taken the time to search and copy records for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment